First-Ever Corona SDK Hackathon [Details Thread]

60 replies [Last post]
Hetal
User offline. Last seen 8 years 30 weeks ago. Offline

As you guys probably know by now, this Saturday is our first-ever Corona SDK hackathon in San Francisco.

If you haven't yet registered but still wanna go, we still have a few tickets remaining at http://coronasdk.eventbrite.com/.

Until then, this thread is where we'll be posting any and all details leading up to the hackathon (live-stream details, hackathon theme announcements, etc.). So, be sure to check in periodically if you wanna stay in the loop. ;-)

At the moment, it looks like...

1.) We'll have an Adobe Connect page set up (just like in our past webcasts) for all virtual attendees to initially "meet" at before you guys divide up into groups.
2.) We'll have all-day Twitter updates under the #CoronaHackathon hashtag.
3.) Live-streaming via uStream is looking to be a strong possibility, if we can indeed keep things interesting to watch for most of the 12 hours.

And, of course, any other questions/comments go under here too. :-)

Update:

You can create the game of your choice or app of your choice. If you use your own libraries, you must open source them and MIT license them to your fellow developers.

For libraries like Lime or Particle candy, you can't MIT license them obviously.

Replies

happylewie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Virtual Attendee should tweet too to keep things interesting. Few were doing the same on Techority48 and that was very fun. I'm looking forward to virtually meet most of you - my passport is on the way so next time I'll go in Palo Alto ;)

J. A. Whye
User offline. Last seen 15 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

*Hours* ago Carlos tweeted that we'd all know the themes for Hackathon in a few minutes.

Dude, where are you?!?!

Jay

Ninja Pig Studios
User offline. Last seen 34 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Live Streaming will be an awesome addition. Just told my whole family and they are pumped to tune in and watch my team hack! I say for UStream, just carry around the camera and interview all the teams :) if someone could film the whole thing, then edit the clips into a 30 minute video, and post it on YouTube, that would be awesome!

Regards,
Jordan Schuetz
Ninja Pig Studios

croisened
User offline. Last seen 5 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Agree, live streaming would be insanely cool, we have a few fans cheering us on from our day jobs. I'll be sending out as much as I can on the FullyCroisened twitter feed as well.

Can't wait to get there! First trip to California and can you think of any better reason to go?!?!?!?

Agree with Jay, someone needs to lower the interval on the "few minutes" timer! LOL

What could it be??????

maarten.koopmans
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Can I place a bounty on bug #7694?

I mean: is that allowed?

peach pellen
User offline. Last seen 7 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

Lewie, go visit Palo Alto in October. I hear that's a good time of year.

On topic, I'm hoping the live feed happens - I want in on that!

J.A. - I expect he's enjoying making you suffer ;)

happylewie

@peachpellen Just happen to have a week off in october. But for now I'm pretty jealous of all the people attending LIVE! ;)

brainofsteel
User offline. Last seen 50 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Could someone clarify the rules on third-party tools (such as Lime and Level Helper) and outside content (music, graphic assets, etc)?

Ninja Pig Studios

Basically it means that when you MIT license it, anyone can steal your code and use it in your game without your approval...so when you work with a team, it means that all of your teams owns the code.

Regards,
Jordan Schuetz
Ninja Pig Studios

vopmms
User offline. Last seen 7 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

I would also like to know the rules.

happylewie

So the theme is not really a theme is it ? ;)

J. A. Whye

When you say that you must open source your libraries to your "fellow developers" you're talking about just those people on your hackathon team, right?

Jay

carlos m. icaza
User offline. Last seen 8 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

The world - open source the code to the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are working on a team, any pre-existing code that you bring must be shared between team members and therefore must become opensource MIT license.

if this is difficult to comprehend that there is this notion on sharing code with fellow developers, then I will pick a theme at 8:00am on Saturday. It is not rocket science people.

This is for fun, prizes, and a general healthy, amicable programming hack-a-thon.

Not SEC/FTC/FAA/NSA/CIA/FDA/ATF/IRS sanctioned event.

Rule #1 have fun
Rule #2 see rule #1

Lets make some games/apps which is the focus of the hack-a-thon, not get into a mine mine mine mine mine code piss contest.

C.

Ninja Pig Studios

Wait Carlos...you can't make any game you want? It has to be relating to the theme???

Regards,
Jordan Schuetz
Ninja Pig Studios

J. A. Whye

Lets make some games/apps which is the focus of the hack-a-thon, not get into a mine mine mine mine mine code piss contest.

Pffft! :P

My question was just for clarification -- if I had to open up my libraries to everyone I'd scramble and make it a little prettier and add some comments, that's all.

Once again, Pfffft! :P

Love, Jay

vopmms

I'm confused... what's the theme?

*update* oops didn't see the update in the original post. So we can make anything we want but can't use non open source libraries...got it.

Philipp
User offline. Last seen 5 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

Ninjapig, I suppose if there wasn't a theme then you could take a previous game to enter the competition, so then there wouldn't be a time limit/ marathon-style run...

Ninja Pig Studios

Just to clarify, do we need to open source the code to all the developers at the Ansca Mobile Hack-a-thon on August 27th or just for our team?

Regards,
Jordan Schuetz
Ninja Pig Studios

RoverEnt
User offline. Last seen 4 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

I am with Carlos on this one. This is a community event designed to bring developers together from around the globe. A place to share ideas and learn from each other. A time to show what the Corona SDK can do! Not a place to launch your next big game! I am honestly a little confused with the general uproar.

Do people honestly think over the course of the next two days they are going to develop the next Angry Birds? Some people are concerned that others will steal their code. No one can steal what you gave away for free. Others are worried that someone might submit the app they have been working on for the last six months. I say great, go ahead. If you want to give six months worth of your work to the world for free, awesome. At the end of the day who wins? Half a dozen people walk away with a meager prize, and we all walk away with their code.

As for theme, a specific theme will only stifle the overall creative process. Do we really want to see 100 variations of exactly the same thing. I don't! Seriously people, lets all have fun!

Boydy
User offline. Last seen 6 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

This is going to be fun! good luck to everyone who is entering. great idea to live stream this event too, im sure everyone will spread the word on twitter and let people see the community come together and help each other.

croisened
User offline. Last seen 5 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Having an open theme is the way to go, it allows us to see literally everything and anything with no barriers. I'm more excited to meet some of the community and just be around the energy than any actual code. That being said we are going to be sketching our asses off on the plan ride in tomorrow and we are just using this event as a way to challenge ourselves to see how far and what we can create in the 12 hours on Saturday on a brand new bunch of bits.

How fun in a loft with 100+ other corona maniacs and for 12+ hours we don't have to worry about anything else but doing what we love!

Can't wait to meet some of you crazies!

Come find Nate and Tim from Nebraska and say hello!

Any other midwest folks going to be there?

Croisened

hgvyas123
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

"You can create the game of your choice or app of your choice. If you use your own libraries, you must open source them and MIT license them to your fellow developers.

For libraries like Lime or Particle candy, you can't MIT license them obviously."

does this means that we can use any graphics or code which are under MIT license. like director class some code's found in code exchange some MIT licensed graphics

and graphics from ansca samples ??

just want to clarify as i am developer and i don't know anything about graphics

Eric D. Tippett
User offline. Last seen 7 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

I think you should pick a theme at 8 am Saturday, Carlos.
It would be a lot more fun to see how everyone takes an idea and twists it in their own way.
I like getting a small idea and then turning into something of my own.

Philipp
User offline. Last seen 5 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

"As for theme, a specific theme will only stifle the overall creative process."

It depends on how open the theme is... I think creative people can work both with nothing as well as with an inspirational something. For instance, a creative author can probably pick a random word from the dictionary, then write a short story about it.

But I say it's Corona's Hackathon, let them decide the rules and let those who participate have fun with it :) I'm curious to see what people will come up with!

Eric D. Tippett

Yeah it takes a creative person to make a small random idea and make it awesome.. I was already thinking about the weaving basket joke and how that could be a game

Boydy
User offline. Last seen 6 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

no theme? this was one of the things i was most looking forward too =(
as people have said, devs can just polish off a game thats 95% complete.
i wonder if the choice was made based on the fact that the quality of apps will rise above and beyond what would of been made if a theme was used. hence showing off high quality apps that devs can create with corona than to have possibly poor apps being shown. oh well, maybe carlos will trick us all and enforce a theme at the last minute? i can only hope.

mobilefun4me
User offline. Last seen 5 years 49 weeks ago. Offline

Hackathon Build Release#

What build release should we be on? I'm thinking specifically about the correct build version for InMobi.

Fixdit
User offline. Last seen 3 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

I agree with @Boydy,
I had really hoped there would be a theme to focus on.

Never short of an idea though :)

bryan.vaccaro
User offline. Last seen 5 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

As I am on the east coast, my theme is definitely going to be hurricanes :P

ricardorauber
User offline. Last seen 3 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

I agree with Boydy too, it should have a theme and it must be something new, not an already started project. I don't know if I will participate if it will not have a theme.

J. A. Whye

I figured whatever the theme was I could find a way to shoehorn it into what I want to do, so to me a theme isn't necessary (although it might have been fun).

Yes, I agree whatever you write tomorrow should ONLY be started tomorrow -- except for thinking about it, making notes, etc. Just no coding (or creating artwork, etc.) before the gun goes off at the starting line. :)

Jay

PS - If you're not even supposed to *think* about anything ahead of time, then someone let me know and I'll come in tomorrow with a blank mind and see what happens. :)

brainofsteel

+1 Boydy on the theme. Could I be so bold as to propose one? I've been thinking a "dreams" theme would be kind of fun to start with. I think that's what I'm going to go with tomorrow. I know it's not official or anything, but if anyone else wants to join me on that theme, feel free! It would be fun to see how people start at the same theme and then take it in different and interesting directions. (I promise I don't have a dream-themed game 95% complete in my back pocket. That'll be plenty obvious to anyone who looks at my code when it's over :)
+1 Jay on the assets. Seems we start from scratch when they say 'go', no code, music or art before. Hopefully thinking and notes are okay now, or I might go crazy tonight!
No intent to tread on those of you that favor a more free-form approach... I think having some well-defined constraints just makes it a little more compelling for some of us.
Thanks ANSCA for putting this on - Best of luck to everyone tomorrow!

Fixdit
User offline. Last seen 3 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

Agree with the above, coding should begin a fresh when the gun goes off at the starting line tomorrow.

idealconceptz
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Makes more sense for everybody to start from scratch on the day, which would also be a good selling point for the SDK. If people can use code they've been developing over the last 3 months, then the whole hackathon makes no sense IMHO. You could just turn up 50,000 lines of code on a memory stick, compile it and revel in the praise.
Quite how Ansca would police the remote hackathoners though, I have no idea!
Sadly I can't be there, but if i could, I would vote for starting with a blank canvas and a clearly defined theme.

ps. hackathoners - is that a real word?

smloh
User offline. Last seen 6 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

Yes, a theme would be nice, even if it's just something very loose and non-restrictive, like a couple of words.

Perhaps you guys are afraid that having themes will stifle creativity or the range of what ends up being made, but it's well proven that having some restrictions help to spark creative output far better than a complete blank space.

You could also have a non-compulsory "suggested theme" just to help spark creativity.

Separately, does anybody have any recommendations for where to park if you're driving into the city? I'm thinking here: http://www.royalparkingsf.com/12andkissling.htm

Eric D. Tippett

Hey I have a random question that I was just wondering about, so I can plan my day. Im not asking for anything, Im just wondering.

It says breakfast, lunch and dinner in the schedule. Is that provided, do we buy it somewhere in the building or do we have to leave the building and go somewhere to get it.

Thanks

alanfalcon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 48 weeks ago. Offline

I'm looking forward to this! I agree that I wish there would be a theme.

Will virtual teams be forming tomorrow morning?

levitansoftware
User offline. Last seen 5 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

We hope to meet the cool developers of Corona SDK as well! Will try and keep up virtually - It will be 11:30pm to 12noon the next day in the Philippines...so hopefully we can keep up... ready our late night and early morning snacks!

ne.hannah
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline

I don't think teams will be forming? I think if you are alone you work alone, at least that was my take. I am just one guy and can't draw so I will be working on a game I have been thinking about making for weeks and has zero real graphics besides words and a background. I worked out the logic already this week (got excited to make it!) and think that is fine. I don't think anyone is gana put out a full project they have been working on separately as that would be very clear in the level of detail. So those of you worried that will be the case can relax, this is for fun. With that in mind http://opengameart.org/ , http://www.lostgarden.com/2007/05/dancs-miraculously-flexible-game.html , and http://danosongs.com/ are all good sources for game art/music with just a few rules that you can find on each site.....I am using the bit by bits song on dano i know.

brainofsteel

Yeah, Lost Garden has a ton of great stuff.
So that got me thinking about sound effects:
One classic is SFXR. The quintessential sound effect generator, and it's MIT Licensed.
I also like SoundBible.com - Decent selection, super easy to use.

jesterxl
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

In an effort to learn more about everyone tomorrow, whether for finding team members, or just networking, I created a Corona Hackathon Badge Maker (or direct link to app).

Here's mine. See y'all tomorrow!

vopmms

Can we use level helper and sprite helper?

peach pellen
User offline. Last seen 7 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

Jesterxl - this is one of the most awesome things ever.

I am totally making one as soon as I'm done crawling the forums :D

hgvyas123
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

hi guys i have my team ready( two persons including me) so can we able to start at 8 am or shall we have to wait until every one is ready??

plz reply

Noah Atchison
User offline. Last seen 4 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

What if we don't have a webcam and a totally crappy mic? Yeah, that is me who doesn't have a web cam but has a crappy mic. I'm a virtual attendee, also.

levitansoftware
User offline. Last seen 5 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Kindly post the link for Live streaming here...please...thanks!

PlayQuest
User offline. Last seen 8 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Is anybody Out There, out there .....

corvisierpt
User offline. Last seen 6 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
seaweedbread
User offline. Last seen 4 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
tgurus
User offline. Last seen 7 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

thanks for posting the link guys...

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.