Presenting the drag and drop level editor for Corona SDK with Inkscape and SVG!

34 replies [Last post]
karnakgames
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

Inkscape Level Editor for Corona SDK

I'm working on another cool Corona SDK thing along with the book: a SVG based level editor for Corona SDK!

By just dragging and dropping rectangles in an Inkscape* document you can have game levels with physics bodies deployed instantly.

No more manual physics bodies positioning and tuning! Take the pain out of level creation.

* Free and open source vector graphics editor - http://inkscape.org/

Demonstration and level creation process video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcVp0lp7qAQ

Want to know more?

This is still a work in progress, so if you want to hear more about it when it is ready, you can follow me on Twitter: @KarnakGames and/or signup to my Corona Newsletter.

Disclaimer

This is not intended to be a competitor or replacement to the excellent Lime. Lime is totally based on Tiled. My level editor is based on Inkscape and SVG parsing (which is a XML file). Although I make use of Tiled, I don't use the Tiled map itself, I just use the IMAGE exported from a Tiled map (File, Save as Image...).

Replies

Rob2
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Looks great :) I have been avoiding inkscape like the plague, no excuse now.

edit: just watched the video .. really good, I can see that this will make a very rapid system for many types of game development.

jhocking
User offline. Last seen 7 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

That's a cool idea, using Inkscape as a level editor. Does your approach have any advantages over Gumbo?

lfredrik
User offline. Last seen 7 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Wow this looks really cool! But does this also work with the x2 images for retina displays?
Oh and also, will it be free to download?

cl-apps
User offline. Last seen 5 years 22 weeks ago. Offline

This looks interesting, I'll be sure to give it a try.

karnakgames

@Rob2 you will sure will start loving Inkscape :)

@jhocking I don't know all the features of Gumbo yet, but as far as I can tell you, my SVG Level Builder will have a different approach. It will come with different of game templates ready, and it will handle very complex terrains.

SVG Level Builder will be ideal to make platform, mazes/labyrinth and complex terrain games, also you won't have the bodies physics codes around your game code, you will only worry about dealing with your bodies, example: collisions, etc.

@lfredrik Dynamic scaling won't probably be featured on the first version, but it is already on the task list and will be provided.

Also, it won't be free. But there will be a 50% discount for early adopters, and I'll pack it with video and text tutorials, as well, as said before, some game templates.

karnakgames

As an example of game template, I'll pack a game similar to Tiny Wings (actual top #1 paid app), where the terrain is made of a big bezier path: SVG Level Builder will easily allow you to make this kind of physics body/ground.

lfredrik

Ah thanks for answering. Will keep a look out for it.

karnakgames

I'm deciding between some names: Corona SVG Level Builder and Corona SVG Game Maker.

Also be prepared to a LONG feature list: I may release it soon, so you have enough to make games, then I'll release CONSTANT updates. Think of "brainless mobile game development" with the game templates that it will come with it:
- Platform.
- Bubble Ball clone.
- Tiny Wings clone.
- Circular level.
- Topdown game.
etc.

karnakgames

Spiral bodies/terrains/collisions? DONE!

You can even have dynamic spiral bodies to make complex characters / enemies :)

oliver.lecher

@karnakgames

any release dates ? I'm ready to buy...

karnakgames

@oliver.lecher probably in 7 days or so :)
I'm actually depending on some external factors.

Thanks for the interest!

mike4
User offline. Last seen 6 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

You got my sale as well.

Mike Hovland
Blue Rocket Labs

AlenB
User offline. Last seen 6 years 48 weeks ago. Offline

Hey nice work! @karnakgames

another one here with interest! ;-)

Br,
Alen

karnakgames

@mike4 and @alen.brkicic8 thanks :)

Some news:

• The SVG parser is finished! Support to Bezier curves, lines, rects, ellipses.
  • Added Material support. Ex: create a "wood" material, which has the following attributes: image = "wood.png", friction = 2.0.

Now, create a box in Inkscape, set an attribute "material = wood", then duplicate this box to any amount, rotate, etc. Done. You have dozens of bodies sharing the same properties and you practically done that in a minute, instead of setting properties individually in each body.

• I'm now implementing "Premade Objects" support: Think of a drag and drop solution: download a premade car from my site or from someone (ready to the SVG Level Builder specs), insert into your SVG level in Inkscape, design the track in Inkscape, and the racing game is done <--- this is almost possible already, I'm just finishing it.

You won't need to worry about copying and pasting code (as Gumbo). It will be somewhat similar to "Salad Maker", heavily dependent on Inkscape built-in XML editor.

Ernst Renner
User offline. Last seen 9 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

WOW - Fascinating (as Spock would say)!
Now I have to install inkscape after all ...

NayGames
User offline. Last seen 1 week 15 hours ago. Offline

@karnakgames: Could you please contact me: robert (at) naygames.com

AlenB
User offline. Last seen 6 years 48 weeks ago. Offline

Nice update..

What about adding joints?
Would it be possible to create a Ragdoll?

When will it be ready? :-)

Br,
Alen

aiden1004
User offline. Last seen 6 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

Looks really cool.

When do you think you can have public beta for us to play with? Or even purchase?

I have worked with inkscape and cocos2d iphone and LevelSVG which is pretty much identical to what you have done.

I wouldn't mind having that kind of flexibility on corona :D

Cheers!

karnakgames

@NayGames contacted!

@alen.brkicic8 yes, joints will be possible. Not on the first release (there are so many things!), but on future updates. I'll update the tool frequently.

@aiden1004 I had an ETA of 7 days, but due to current workload I don't know about a release date yet. As for LevelSVG: yes, you can expect the same flexibility, but for Corona!

oliver.lecher

@karnakgames

Lime for example is still in beta but anyone can buy a copy.Why not release your tool although it is beta with some beginner tutorials just to get started.

Just a thought:-)

karnakgames

@oliver.lecher yes, I'll release a beta version with a discount for the beta/early adopters :) The fact is that it is not even in alpha stage already. I finished the Parser already (reads a SVG file and make the box2d bodies, all kinds), but I want to finish some game templates, premade objects and documentation.

The parser is already GREAT, but I want to finish the support elements before.

That is not going to take long :)

Ernst Renner
User offline. Last seen 9 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

I think this will be VERY useful and I can't wait to learn more about your software! :)

I even installed Inkscape especially because of that!

oliver.lecher

I'm sleepless because of that tool.I count the days and yes the nights,too.Why does it take so long!? 7 days!? maybe more ? 7 weeks, months ? oh i think i go bananas:-)

karnakgames

Thanks a lot for the interested guys! It's being a real pleasure working on the SVG Level Builder, due to your early feedback!

@oliver: As for the days, I'm having to work on the Level Builder while writing the book and developing client games. So it is taking a little more time than expect.

It is taking long because of that and because of the complexity of the tool too. It is so big and has so many features :)

lfredrik

I'm especially hyped for the examples actually, because your tutorials you have on your site are so good, which probably means that the examples are just as good. :) (The platformer one in particular as I have experienced problems with movement when I have tried doing it myself)

coynage
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

looking forward to it being available!

komail
User offline. Last seen 6 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

I'm ready to buy

karnakgames

Guys, release is approaching!!! :)
Remember to follow me @KarnakGames or just sign for the newsletter: http://leveleditor.karnakgames.com

Miro
User offline. Last seen 8 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

what is the edge/ how do you make a line a physics object?

great tool! looking forward to trying it out

amigoni
User offline. Last seen 7 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

@karnak Looking forward to this. How many days left?

karnakgames

@Miro the new video solves your question :)
@amigoni Sorry, I still don't have an estimate.

New video: http://karnakgames.com/wp/2011/04/corona-svg-level-builder-complex-corona-physics-based-terrains-with-inkscape-paths-and-bezier-curves/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNf-_Cwka84

Complex Corona physics based terrains with Inkscape paths and bezier curves

doubleslashdesign
User offline. Last seen 43 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

I am waiting for the beta - early adopter here....... sorry was drooling :) lol

karnakgames

For everyone that is following: SVG Level Builder has been released!
See more and get it from: http://levelbuilder.karnakgames.com!

awinograd
User offline. Last seen 8 years 48 weeks ago. Offline

This request might fall under "proprietary information", but I've been trying to get a physics body to follow a line path for weeks now. Do you have any advice? How did you approach the problem?

Thanks!
Awinograd

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.