455 replies [Last post]

Replies

carlos m. icaza
User offline. Last seen 7 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

Unity3D ---

lupusk9
User offline. Last seen 7 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

that one looks good if you can afford giving 80% of your 70% from apple...if I read their site right. So you only get 56% of every app download :\

However if it is as awesome as they say it is....pshhhh maybe it is worth it. Thank you for that, i'm sorry for asking for names of competitors but you never know until you ask. Corona is probably gonna win me over at least on my first app though.

synthesis
User offline. Last seen 4 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

It is my understanding that Unity does not charge royalties. The Unreal engine does but not Unity.

It pricey but cost is per license...not an annual subscription like Corona. I say its in the same ballpark of expense as 3DStudioMax. It also has localized publishing to XCode.

If you are a newbie...GameSalad is a good starting point.
Once you've mastered that...Corona is Intermediate level.
Unity is also intermediate...but only if you have scripting experience.
XCode is advanced level.

JIM13243
User offline. Last seen 9 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

what does local mean? (im watching the tutorial 'make a game in 8 minutes). would it make a difference if i did

ball = display.newImage( "blue ball.png" )

instead of

local ball = display.newImage( "blue ball.png" )

? Please answer, im trying to understand Corona SDK

lupusk9
User offline. Last seen 7 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

I read a tutorial that said putting local is optional but it helps to save memory or something like that.

zeeyang
User offline. Last seen 8 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

ex-GS users, SpriteDeck is a drag and drop level design tool for Corona. Email zee@spritedeck.com for a 25% off coupon on SpriteDeck.

Zee
www.spritedeck.com

a3mg
User offline. Last seen 1 day 8 hours ago. Offline

Hello fellow GameSald switchers.

Any of you want to rate and review either of our most recent apps, Valentine's Hearts or Emo Hearts?

Love Valentine's Day? Valentine's Hearts is for you!
Hate Valentine's Day? Try our other app, "Emo Hearts"

Email me apps at a3mg dot com for a promo code. Or just buy and support a fellow indie developer.

Check out A3MG's Valentine's apps in the App Store!
Valentine's Hearts - http://bit.ly/valhearts
Emo Hearts - http://bit.ly/emohearts

- davey

trollapps
User offline. Last seen 8 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

@ JIM13243

Using local before a variable sets that variable to being local to wherever it's being declared

The example below declares the variable within the function as being local to that function. Once the function is ran, the variable is then eligible to be picked up by garbage collection whereas a "global" variable is not (a global variable is a variable without 'local' in front)

local function someFunction()
 -- this variable is erased after the function is ran
 local some_variable = "some variable"
end

local function someFunction()
 -- this variable remains as a 'global' variable and isn't removed from memory via garbage collection
some_variable = "some variable"
end

to save memory, I avoid global variables whenever I can

synthesis
User offline. Last seen 4 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

A few other things to know...
Locals can only be called locally.

A local can only be called from within its own lua file. If using multiple lua files...to call one function from another...they cannot be local.

Anything local embedded inside a function is treated as temporary and dumped upon completion of the function automatically.

A local inside a function cannot be called outside of that function.

There might be more...but those are off the top of my head.

I use Global variables (without the local) for key global things...things that I will use often and throughout the app/game. I use locals if I just need them for a moment...such as a counter or a temporary flag.

You can always nil out a global variable if you don't need it and want to free up memory.
ie: myGlobalVariable = nil

trollapps
User offline. Last seen 8 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

@ synthesis

I think you covered it, all I can think of to add is if you decide to use a group or image as a global variable be sure to remove it from the display list prior to setting it to nil, or it will remain on the stage

some_image = display.newImage("images/some_image.png", 0, 0, true);
some_image.parent:remove(some_image)
some_image = nil

zeeyang

Ex-GS users, get 50% off on SpriteDeck with this coupon: MORESALAD.

This coupon is valid until Feb 6. Please take your time to evaluate.

Zee

3CordGuy
User offline. Last seen 4 years 2 days ago. Offline

Wow! What a deal! Thanks Zee, I will be purchasing my copy tomorrow.

Photics
User offline. Last seen 8 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

>> Corona refers to a part
>> of the glow on the sun.

It bothers me that a Google search for "Corona" returns a result for beer. The word "Corona" doesn't have a single meaning. Although, today I noticed that Ansca Mobile is gaining in search standing.

http://www.google.com/search?q=corona

Corona (as in the programming language) is now the second result. That's huge progress!

Anyway... that's not the main point of this post. Photics means "The science of light", so it only seems natural that I'm here. I'm a bit late to the party, but it looks like things are just getting started here.

Magenda
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

Ansca has a better point of view on this, but as an active member here at forums I can say that activity around Corona and users' interest is at least 1000% (10x) up comparing to the last summer!

Back then it was an "alpha" product full of potential. Now it is a serious platform to work with and it is getting better and better every month.

Ernst Renner

Hello,
just found this GS -> Corona tread!

Great find (in many ways :-)

BeyondtheTech
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 22 hours ago. Offline

Looks like they quietly downgraded my forum permissions on GameSalad from "Sous-Chef" to "Member" sometime over the past week.

Must have been that fair and healthy comparison between the two GDKs and my personal experience. Seems that as soon as I posted my two cents, they closed the forum thread.

I only wish them the best, and as someone who has vested two years' worth of time and subscription money with them, I hope they really step up to the plate. It's been months later and they're still talking about splash screens, memory leaks, and the wait for Game Center. It's a sad state of affairs.

I've moved on already to Corona, but it would have been nice and professional if they at least kept up some form of communication, not just with me, but with the rest of their community.

elgenaro
User offline. Last seen 8 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

Hola!

thanks for that info BeyondTech, I just started using GS but saw a lot of shortcomings, like the huge CPU causing a lot of slowdown, zero answers about in-app purchase, and of course: lack of arrays...
So consider me an ex-GS

:)

gamehkmail
User offline. Last seen 8 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

ex-GS user too!

peachpellen
User offline. Last seen 7 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

Welcome, elgenaro! There are many ex GS users here - so you'll likely see many familiar faces. (Well, names. :))

gamehkmail - I don't recall you from GS, did you use a different name there? Or were you only there recently? (I left back in November, I believe it was.)

Peach :)

elgenaro

Hi peach! :)
Thanks, and thanks A LOT for the great vids! I'm learning A LOT! Thanks again! :)

gamehkmail
User offline. Last seen 8 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

peachpellen,
GS was the first tool I used for iPhone development. I didn't post anything in their forum. It's a very great tool. Then I tried Unity3D a bit and finally landed on Corona. How is the development of GS now? I miss it a lot...

-- Advanced UI + Graph for Corona® | Website | Forum (https) | See:

peachpellen

I wouldn't know; I haven't used it in a long time. (Around my join date here.)

I've been too busy with Corona :)

elgenaro

GS: still slow as molasses. no arrays, no tables.

EDIT: Once I emailed Support, and it took them NINE days to answer...

peachpellen

Once I emailed Support, and it took them NINE days to answer...

Once I emailed support and it took them no time at all to respond .... Because they never responded XD

I hope they improve on that for their users' sake. One of the deciding factors initially for me with Corona was that when I emailed Carlos he wrote back - despite the fact that my emails are often long, rambly and largely nonsensical.

It's great seeing how far so many ex GS users have come with Corona.

3CordGuy

Nice, Peach.

Yeah the communication with GS was ridiculous. I have been impressed with Carlos and the team here numerous times. And I'm about a day away from submitting my first Corona port-of-a-GS-app-upgraded-and-made-into-a-sequel! I'm excited.

It's amazing how much better Corona is performance-wise.

-Josh

luna
User offline. Last seen 3 years 48 weeks ago. Offline

Well due to a contract agreement I have, I am actually using GS. That being said, they (Corona and GS) are both different in the way apps are created and they both have their advantages. Use the right tool for the job is what I say. During my time with GS, I've been able to create various games but without the much needed game center, open feint and Facebook connectivity - all standard with Corona and all missing in GS. GS is great for the point and click crowd and as such it's what I'm going to be using for my game camp.

For more advanced work I am using CoronaSDK and for a project coming up I may need to use XCode + Objective-C as it requires push notifications. Push notifications and badges are currently not possible with CoronaSDK.

Nocturn Bits
User offline. Last seen 6 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Hi there! I'm switching from GS too :) Because with GS I can't complete my game...lots of problems, slow loadings, probably not working on 3G devices... So, I decided to switch.

I have question for ex-GS users :

In GS when I clicked on "actor" I can add some rules and variables only for this actor...
How can I make this in Corona?
For example:
If i create a square:

local square = display.newRect(100,100,45, 45);
square.x = 100; square.y = 100;
square:setFillColor(255, 255, 0)

How can I create function that do something only with this (in GS it was "actor") square? Because I need to create for about 20 "squares" and add different function to every square.

Thanks.

gamedivisionuk
User offline. Last seen 6 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Well im thinking of changing as ive spent the last 2 weeks optimising my game using every trick in the book to find out my game runs like crap on the 3g,and i removed most of my particles removed all my parallax scrolling still the same,and there so called memory dump after every scene is rubbish as it doesnt dump just builds up and builds up, so its about time i made a decision to go with a serious game making application.only problem is i dont know how to code,but my anger thats built up over the last 2 weeks will give me the motivation to learn it,so soon as this game is released im not renewing my GS account and im gona start work on corona,
Any good advise from people,where is the best place to start,and i mean basic like if you put that code there it does this

thanks guys

jstrahan
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

glad to see you making the switch. if you've never coded before it is a bit of a learning curve but can be done. www.learningcorona.com is one of the best places to start that I have found. it has just about all the tutorials in one place.

peach pellen
User offline. Last seen 7 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

Hey gamedivisionuk,

jstrahan's link is very useful - on it you will see many tutorials I have written, including a mini series called "Corona for Newbies" - I'd suggest starting there. (I've had great feedback, it's very gentle, aimed at non coders.)

Good luck - the results are well worth the effort ;)

Peach

gamedivisionuk

thank you for the speedy reply i cant believe it, i can track my own posts its better already

BeyondtheTech
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 22 hours ago. Offline

Cross into the light. All are welcome. :)

jstrahan

yeah that was one of the first things I noticed to

3CordGuy

@gamedivisionuk

that Learningcorona.com site can be daunting itself. I'm a "little coding background" guy myself and would suggest along with Peach's stuff, to check out Raphael Hernandez's videos on that site. He's a fantastic teacher and his videos from start to finish, explained "why what does what" just like you're asking.

I found them to be invaluable when I was first learning because sometimes looking at commented code wasn't enough. Watching someone put it together and explain each step was fantastic.

That's my suggestion from an ex GS, graphics guy.

Enjoy the freedom!

peach pellen
Alumni

Cross into the light. All are welcome. :)

+1

gamedivisionuk

This made me laugh
the reason im moving to corona is because gamesalad just doesnt work at all ive spent 5 months making a game in GS the last 2 weeks where optimising and it didnt work at all,so i sent my project to gamesalad and they had the cheek to tell me we'll look through your project and see if you have any memory leaks ha ha ha ha ha ha.
WAKE UP,gs is one big memory leak,thats why games dont work in that program.i cant wait for there diagnosis.

jstrahan

haha
I never had a problem with gs but that is funny
I left back around 0.8.9 cause of some changes they were making
and the fact that you could never get an answer for them about the changes
so I left and came to corona and looked back I even left 3'games uncompleted
but plan on one day recreating with corona

gamedivisionuk

yeah really bad communication,
i just look at all these features in corona,i cant believe it,support video and mp3,facebook twitter zero loading times,no stupid wheel,im like a kid in a sweets shop i cant wait to learn all this..

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

i been reading that quite a few new users have joined us.

welcome aboard

c.

guy34
User offline. Last seen 8 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

Hey All!

I'm a GS PRO user and have managed to go get two games out there with GS.

My pro is coming up for renewal and I'm not very happy with how things are going there.

I've got a PHP background and have dabbled with Corona before but really, really like the GUI interface and being able to see your actors on the screen while building. After coding all day for a living, I liked the simplicity of GS. But, if I want to be a serious developer, it's time to move on.

I'm ready to move on and with my Pro account coming up for renewal, for 100 bucks less I could get to publish to both iPhone and Droid not to mention having your games bricked when they release an update will be a thing of the past.

Anyways, glad to be here and looking forward to contributing and asking LOTS of questions!!

jstrahan

welcome guy34

netdzynr
User offline. Last seen 4 years 52 weeks ago. Offline

Hi guy34:

I was going mention a 3rd party product called SpriteDeck that is an Air-based visual editor for Corona projects, but the developer seems to have disappeared. The home page at spritedeck.com is blank, but you can still get into the subpages of the site. Anybody know what's going on with this product?

[EDIT] Never mind, just found the thread about it being unsupported/taken down.

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

Welcome !

c

peach pellen
Alumni

Hey Guy34 - welcome!

Although SpriteDeck is no longer available there is a tool called Gumbo that is fantastic when it comes to positioning things and working out coordinates.

http://nerderer.com/Gumbo/

I hope that helps and will look forward to you "contributing with LOTS of questions!!"

Peach ;)

jstrahan

there's also
levelHelper www.levelhelper.org
and
spriteHelper www.spriteHelper.org

devsalad
User offline. Last seen 45 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hmm... I started my game development adventure with GS too, but I've learned that is better to learn an easy programming language than just drag and drop actors, at least while somebody create an epic fusion between drag and drop and an easy but pro programming language.

brad.herman
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

Guess I should add my name to this post.

I have 5 apps in the app store made with GS, I have one now ported over to Corona using the trial. I will try porting one more, or atleast get is started before I decide.

peach pellen
Alumni

Welcome Brad :)

Phenomsandwich
User offline. Last seen 8 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

I used GameSalad awhile back thinking it would work effectively for what I need. But besides bugs, theirs a lack of documentation for my needs. Right now I'm using the non-commercial version of corona but been having a hard time putting a game together. Can't afford buying it right now.

peach pellen
Alumni

You will find it gets easier, just stick with it. Baby steps!

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.